Sunday, March 10, 2024

Is Shiny Tire Spray Ruining The Rotors On My Toyota Sienna?

Did Automatic Car Wash Shiny Tire Spray Ruin My Toyota Sienna's Brake Rotors?

 In the hustle and bustle of modern life, automatic car washes have become a convenient solution for keeping our vehicles clean and sparkling. However, beneath the gleaming appearance lies a potential problem that many drivers overlook - the shiny tire spray. While this product promises to enhance the appearance of your tires, it can inadvertently wreak havoc on your vehicle's brake rotors, leading to costly repairs. 

Disclaimer: My automobile parts knowledge is limited and opinions here are mine and my trusted mechanic's.


The Shiny Tire Spray Controversy

Automatic car washes often offer the application of "shiny tire" spray as a finishing touch. This spray contains silicone-based chemicals designed to give tires a glossy sheen, enhancing their appearance and leaving them looking brand new. However, the overspray from this product can land on other parts of your vehicle, including the brake rotors. 

Two Sets of Rotors Replaced Within a 12 Month Period

When a new automatic car wash opened near me, I signed up for the monthly subscription for $24.99, allowing me unlimited washes each month. This plan included "Shiny Tire" spray and I used it frequently to keep the salt and dirt off of my Toyota Sienna van. When my van went to my mechanic for service, it required new brakes and rotors twice within a twelve month span. The mechanic working on it noticed a sticky oil type liquid on the rotors, which was making the rotors wear excessively fast. I had only driven 12,000 miles between the two brake/rotors installation. 

Here's The Problem:

According to my mechanic, the spray was hitting not just the tires as it went through the automatic car wash. It was sticking to and building up on the brakes and rotors, causing the rotors to wear excessively. 

Solution:

Goodbye, automatic car wash!  I cancelled my membership that day.  I can go to a do-it-yourself wash and just wash it myself.  I'm hoping to avoid another brakes and rotors repair bill for the near future! 

Although I don't need a van for carrying around kids as much as I used to, as they are mostly driving on their own, I still like this van for it's great reliability, and I can put my bike and kayak in the back and be on my way!